Cook up this quick-and-easy shrimp stir fry for a perfect weeknight dinner–loads of fresh veggies and bright flavors will make it a family favorite!
Cilantro Shrimp Stir Fry from The 21-Day Sugar Detox Cookbook
grain-free • gluten-free • dairy-free • refined sugar-free
PREP TIME: 10 mins
COOKTIME: 10 to 15 mins
- 4 tablespoons ghee or coconut oil, divided
- 1 large red onion, sliced (1 cup)
- sea salt and black pepper
- 1 large bell pepper, sliced (1 cup)
- 1 dozen small mushrooms, sliced (1 cup)
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced (1 cup)
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 3/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 dozen jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined (and defrosted if frozen)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, for serving
In a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the ghee, then add the onion and season generously with salt and pepper. Allow the onion slices to cook until they are translucent and the edges start to brown, about 3-4 minutes. Add the bell pepper, mushrooms, zucchini, garlic, and ginger and stir to combine and distribute the garlic and ginger throughout the pan. Season again with salt and pepper, add the cilantro, stir to incorporate, and cook the vegetables until tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
On a large plate, season the shrimp lightly on both sides with salt, pepper, and the coriander. When the vegetables are cooked, remove them from the pan and set aside. Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of ghee to the pan. Place the shrimp in the pan and cook for 2 minutes per side or until they're pink on the outside and opaque (no longer translucent) all the way through.
Serve the vegetables topped with 6 shrimp per person. Garnish with a lime wedge to squeeze over the dish before eating.
To make this recipe AIP-friendly, omit the bell pepper and bump up the other veggies.