Full of flavor and oh so easy to make, this slow-cooked chicken will transform dinner into something truly special!
Slow Cooker Chicken Adobo
grain-free • gluten-free • dairy-free • sugar-free
PREP TIME: 25 minutes
COOK TIME: 4 to 6 hours
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 (2-inch) piece of fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 head garlic (about 12 cloves), peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 14.5 ounces full-fat coconut milk (about 1 3/4 cups), canned or homemade
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons black pepper, plus more for the chicken
- 2 tablespoons cooking fat (ghee, coconut oil, etc.)
- 3 pounds bone-in chicken thighs
- sea salt
- Basic Cilantro Cauli-Rice (for serving)
Layer the onion, ginger, garlic, and bay leaves in the bottom of a slow cooker. In a bowl, mix together the coconut milk, coconut aminos, apple cider vinegar, and pepper.
Heat the cooking fat in a skillet over high heat. Season the skin side of the chicken thighs generously with salt and pepper and place them skin side down in the skillet. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the skin is browned.
Transfer the chicken thighs, skin side up, to the slow cooker and pour the coconut milk mixture over the top.
Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6 hours.
For a thicker sauce, remove the cooked chicken from the slow cooker, bring the remaining sauce to a boil in a sauce pan over medium-high heat, and cook for 20 to 25 minutes to reduce or until desired thickness is achieved.
Serve over Basic Cilantro Cauli-Rice.
Pingback: What's Up Weekly with Diane | December 21st, 2016