This recipe is the solution for 1) wanting portable, pre-cooked, easy-to-eat eggs that are not hard boiled and 2) needing to use up the last of summer zucchini…enjoy!
Swirly Crustless Quiche
grain-free • gluten-free • dairy-free • sugar-free
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 40 minutes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 5-6 small summer squash (shredded in a food processor or by hand)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- paprika (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Melt the butter in a small frying pan and then pour it into a 9×11″ glass baking dish to grease the bottom. Then sautée your diced yellow onion in the pan with the remaining bit of melted butter. Season to taste with sea salt and pepper.
Mix beaten eggs with shredded zucchini, green onions and chives. Add sea salt, pepper and other spices as desired. Garlic and onion powder as well as a bit of rosemary work well.
Pour the egg & veggie mixture into your baking dish (sprinkle with paprika if you like) and bake for approximately 40 minutes or until the edges are golden brown and the center is no longer runny or loose.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool before slicing. The quiche will rise upon baking and flatten out a bit after it begins to cool. Slice and serve. You can cut it into 6 servings (2 eggs each), or cut it smaller for more servings.
Freeze leftovers (quiche reheats nicely in the toaster oven).
Variations and other ideas:
- Mix in some cooked, chopped bacon or other cooked and chopped or shredded meat to add protein and flavor.
- Use a combination of shredded carrots and zucchini in the mix.
- Add in about 2 Tbsp of coconut flour for a slightly different texture.
- Try baking in muffin tins for a more portable version.