These quick and easy tuna salad wraps are great for lunch, whether on a relaxing weekend or packed for a busy day at work or school.
Tuna Salad Wraps
grain-free • gluten-free • dairy-free • refined sugar-free
PREP TIME: 15 mins
- 4 (6-ounce) cans tuna
- 1/2 cup Healthy Homemade Mayonnaise (see recipe below or use Primal Kitchen Mayo)
- 1/2 cup minced celery
- 1 green apple, minced
- 1/4 cup kelp flakes or minced nori (dried seaweed paper)
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 12-16 large lettuce leaves or other raw greens such as collards or kale, stems removed
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions (scallions), for garnish (optional)
for Healthy Homemade Mayonnaise:
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup macadamia nut oil or other oil
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Make the mayo: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, lemon juice, and mustard until blended and bright yellow, about 30 seconds. Begin adding 1/4 cup of the macadamia nut oil to the yolk mixture a few drops at a time, whisking constantly. Gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup macadamia nut oil and the olive oil in a slow, thin stream, whisking constantly, until the mayonnaise is thick and lighter in color.
Store in the refrigerator for up to a week. (Makes 3/4 cup.)
Make the wraps: In a food processor, pulse the tuna with the mayonnaise until it's a creamy texture.
Transfer the tuna to a mixing bowl and add the celery, apple, and kelp flakes or nori. Using a large spoon or spatula, mix the salad ingredients until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
Fill the lettuce leaves or greens of your choice with equal amounts of the tuna salad and garnish with the sliced green onions, if using.