prep time: 5 minutes, plus 5 minutes to chill bananas | cooking time: 45 minutes | yield: one 8 1/2 by 4 1/2-inch loaf (8-12 slices)
gluten-free • dairy-free • nightshade-free • sugar-free
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 3 medium green-tipped bananas, diced
- 9 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup + 3 tablespoons full-fat coconut milk, store-bought or homemade
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup coconut flour, sifted
- 1 cup cashew flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Cacao nibs, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Brush an 8 1/2 by 4 1/2-inch loaf pan with butter or ghee and line with parchment paper.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Add the bananas and sauté until soft, approximately 8 to 10 minutes. Place the cooked bananas in the refrigerator to chill for at least 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, vigorously whisk the eggs, vanilla, remaining 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, coconut milk, and vinegar for about 20 seconds until combined. Add the coconut flour, cashew flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cooked and chilled bananas, and salt to the egg mixture and whisk vigorously until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, filling the pan about two-thirds full, as the bread will puff up while baking. Top with cacao nibs if desired.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the loaf is puffed-up and golden brown. Allow to cool completed before slicing.
- Serve toasted and warm, either plain or with butter, ghee, or coconut butter and extra ground cinnamon on top.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container on the counter for up to three days, in the refrigerator for up to a week, or in the freezer for up to three weeks. Slice and toast from the fridge or defrost on the countertop overnight and toast the following day.
VARIATION: BANANA NUT MUFFINS: Line a 12-cavity muffin tin with parchment paper baking cups. Pour the batter into the prepared tin, filling each cavity about two-thirds full (the muffins will puff up while baking). Top each muffin with a walnut half.
21DSD FRUIT SERVING: Each slice includes about half of a green-tipped banana. Factor this into your total intake of allowed fruit for the day.
KITCHEN TIP: You can use a parchment paper loaf pan liner for each baking, removal, and slicing.
CHANGE IT UP: Make this a fall-flavored pumpkin bread by swapping 3/4 cup pumpkin for the banana and pumpkin pie spice for the ground cinnamon, and using 2 tablespoons of coconut oil instead of 3.