gluten-free • egg-free • dairy-free • nut-free • sugar-free
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter or other nut or seed butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons carob powder (see Note)
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- 3 medium green-tipped bananas, sliced into 1/2-inch coins
- Unsweetened shredded coconut, for garnish (optional)
- Cacao nibs, for garnish
- Melt all the ingredients except the bananas together in a double boiler over medium-high heat for just a few minutes. (If you don't have a double boiler, a glass heatproof mixing bowl set on top of a saucepan will also work.) Alternatively, place the ingredients in a small microwave-safe bowl, and microwave on high in 20-second increments until smooth, stirring between each increment.
- Place the mixture in the refrigerator and chill for 5 to 10 minutes, until slightly firm.
- Dip each banana slice in the chilled chocolate mixture and set on a wire rack over a baking sheet. Garnish with coconut and cacao nibs, if using, and place in the refrigerator to set for about an hour.
- Once set, transfer the bites evenly into four sealable plastic bags or freezer-safe containers—these are single-serving portions. Store in the freezer up to several weeks and enjoy frozen.
NOTE: If you can't find carob powder, use 2 more tablespoons of cocoa powder instead (4 tablespoons total). But the carob powder will add a hint of sweetness without adding sweetener, so it's worth using if you can!
21DSD FRUIT SERVING:
One serving includes half of a green-tipped banana. Factor this into your total intake of allowed fruit for the day. Limit yourself to one serving of this recipe per day.
NUT-FREE? Make these with sunflower butter!
FODMAP-FREE? Make these with ghee instead of coconut oil.