Mexican Chicken & Avocado Soup
prep time: 10 minutes | cook time: 25 minutes | yield: 8 servings
gluten-free • dairy-free • egg-free • sugar-free • nightshade-free
- 1 tablespoon ghee, butter, coconut oil, or bacon fat
- 4 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 carrots, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 2 tablespoons TEX MEX blend
- 2 quarts 64 ounces chicken bone broth (homemade preferably)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin (nightshade-free), or 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1 1/2 pounds shredded cooked chicken or 8 servings Slow-Cooked Salsa Verde Chicken
- 2 avocados, sliced
- chopped fresh cilantro
- lime wedges
- coarse sea salt and coarsely cracked black pepper
- Melt the ghee in a large pot over medium heat. Add the celery, onion, and carrots and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until tender. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add the TEX MEX spice blend, broth, and pumpkin and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and let the soup simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken to the pot and stir to combine. Heat briefly, just to warm the chicken, the taste for seasoning, adding more salt and pepper if needed.
- Ladle the soup into bowl and garnish each serving with avocado slices, cilantro, a squeeze of lime juice, and some coarse salt and cracked pepper.
Omit the onion and garlic and the avocado garnish.
spice blend swap
Use 2 to 3 tablespoons of either TACO & FAJITA Balanced Bites Spice Blend.
Freeze the soup without the avocado added.
I highly recommended that you use homemade chicken broth for this recipe. Not only will it provide more nutrition than the store-bought variety, but it will also impart maximum flavor. Be sure to adjust the amount of salt that you add according to how salty your broth is and taste the soup often to adjust.
change it up
If you can tolerate nightshades, add 1 teaspoon of each paprika and chili powder.