This spicy slaw is the perfect no-cook side during the hot summer months! The nut/seed butter adds the perfect amount of creaminess to balance out the heat. You can also adjust this recipe to your preferred heat level! —Team 21DSD
prep time: 20 minutes | yield: 5 cups
gluten-free • dairy-free • egg-free • sugar-free
- 1/4 cup nut or seed butter (almond, walnut, sesame tahini, or Sunbutter)
- juice of 1 lime
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Garlic Chili Paste, depending on desired heat level
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce, or more to taste
- 4 cups cabbage, finely shredded (1 medium head)
- 2 large carrots, finely shredded
- 4 green onions (scallions), sliced
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 to 2 jalapeño peppers, thinly sliced (optional)
- Combine the nut or seed butter, lime juice, garlic, garlic chili paste, and fish sauce in a small bowl and whisk until combined.
- Place the cabbage, carrots, green onions, red onion, and jalapeños, if using, in a large bowl and toss until the ingredients are evenly distributed. Pour the nut butter mixture over the cabbage mixture and combine thoroughly. For better flavor, refrigerate at least an hour before serving.
Omit the jalapeños.