We mean it when we say this is the *perfect* way to grill your chicken breast. Once you try it, you'll never want to grill your chicken breast any other way! This recipe is great for protein prep, and the chicken is the perfect addition to any dinner plate or salad. —Team 21DSD
Perfectly Grilled Chicken Breast
prep time: 10 minutes yield: 1 cup
gluten-free • dairy-free • egg-free • nut-free • FODMAP-free • nightshade-free • sugar-free
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- juice of 1 lemon, or 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, rosemary, or other herb, or any Balanced Bites Spice Blend
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or ghee
- 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat a grill pan or grill to medium heat.
- Place a chicken breast on a cutting board with the thickest side facing you. Set your non-cutting hand on top and, while pressing down slightly on the chicken with your palm (keeping your fingers out straight), begin cutting down the length of the side of the breast, keeping your knife parallel to the cutting board. Carefully slide the knife through the center so that the thickness is cut in half. Continue to slice almost completely through the chicken breast, leaving it connected in the center so that it flattens out to a “butterfly” or heart shape. The chicken should now be 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick at most. Repeat with the remaining chicken breasts.
- In a large bowl, combine the lemon juice or vinegar with oregano, salt, and pepper. Add the chicken and turn to evenly coat; allow to marinate for at least 5 minutes, but not more than an hour.
- Brush the hot grill or grill pan with the coconut oil or ghee, then cook the chicken for 4 to 5 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the chicken. When you notice that the chicken has turned white up around the sides and toward the middle, it's time to flip it.
- When you take the chicken off the grill, brush it liberally with the extra-virgin olive oil. Allow to sit for at least 5 minutes before slicing to eat.