“What Can I Put In My Coffee on The 21-Day Sugar Detox (21DSD)?” is one of the top 10 questions we get from our readers who are participating in the 21DSD. For many folks, adding sweeteners and sugary, flavored creamers in their coffee has become as much of a morning ritual as the enjoyment of their coffee! Don’t be discouraged though, we’ve got you covered!
The best news is, #1 – you can still drink coffee on the 21DSD! And #2 – we have LOADS of options for you to choose from and try!
In this post you will find:
- Tips & Recipes (adapted from the recently updated “What Can I Drink on The 21-Day Sugar Detox Besides Water” post)
- Coffee Creamer Options:
— Coconut Milk/Cream
— Coconut Butter/Manna
— Nut Milks
— Unsweetened Dairy Creamer (besides cream)
— Powdered Non-Dairy Creamer
TIPS & RECIPES:
You can still enjoy your coffee either hot or iced without commercial creamer and sweeteners—it just takes rethinking possibilities. In this post we’ve also provided you with a list of 21DSD-friendly products and brands from the main ingredients mentioned here.
Add some fat and flavor. If you tolerate dairy, try a splash of heavy cream. If you avoid dairy, you can use unsweetened coconut, almond, or another nut milk (all unsweetened), or even a tablespoon of pure coconut butter. Try this: empty a can of coconut milk into a jar and refrigerate it (quickly blend it first if it’s a bit chunky from the lack of stabilizers, which you should avoid). The cream will rise to the top—scoop it off for an even richer treat. Give it a flavor boost by adding a dash of vanilla and/or a sprinkle of cinnamon. If you can't find nut milks without weird additives or sweeteners locally, check out Brittany Angell's recipe, Easy Peasy Dairy Free Coffee Creamer for fresh cashew milk, or Diane’s own recipe, here, for fresh, homemade almond milk! No matter what, homemade nut milks will always taste better! Love cold brew? Check out Diane’s article and video: How I Mix my Cold Brew Coffee (to keep it 21DSD-friendly, choose black coffee and omit the optional sweetener).
Bullet Proof it. Either keep it simple by blending your freshly brewed coffee with a tablespoon or two of butter or ghee to create a nice frothy cappuccino-like beverage (an immersion blender works great here)…or optionally, add a punch with pumpkin by following Robyn Youkilis' yummy recipe: Bulletproof Pumpkin Latte (to keep it 21DSD-friendly, omit the optional sweetener). Speaking of pumpkin…here's another great recipe by Cassy Joy Garcia of Fed and Fit: Paleo Pumpkin Spice Latte (omit optional sweetener).
Go black. You might think that drinking black coffee is impossible for you, but consider changing the type of coffee (roast, origin) and brewing method to enhance your coffee experience. Diane’s favorite is Chameleon Cold Brew!
Do what April does! If you follow April of Team 21DSD on Instagram at @21daysugardetox (or her personal and totally adorable account, @pupsandpaleo), you probably wonder how she mixes up her foamy, spice-topped coffee in Stories! Wonder no more…here's her 21DSD Morning Coffee recipe!
Other Team 21DSD favorites:
Amanda @getrealwithamanda on Instagram created these amazing recipes – Blended Cinnamon Coffee & Almond Joy Blended Coffee
Holly @nourishingholly loves Laird's Unsweetened Superfood Creamer and Perfect Keto MCT Oil Powder – “It's so rich, creamy and tasty blended with an immersion blender with some ghee too!”
Candice @cleanlivingcandice – “I like Trader Joe's coconut cream blended up with coffee and a sprinkle of cinnamon on top, over ice.”
Moriah @rosecoloredplate – “I like heavy cream with vanilla!”
Have The 21-Day Sugar Detox Cookbook? Check out the 21DSD Pumpkin Spiced Latte recipe! Yum!
21DSD Facebook Community Favorites/Tips (when asked how their favorite ways to enjoy coffee on the 21DSD):
- “Brewing my coffee w/cinnamon. I put it in the grounds. Gives a little added sweetness.”
- “Half whole milk half brewed coffee”
- “Whole milk lattes“
- “I do it in the blender and add a little butter and a little coconut oil. It's really delicious and froths up like a latte.”
- “I JUST discovered nitro brew! It has this sort of creamy frothiness without adding anything to it. Or, I agree with the others for coconut cream or almond milk!”
- “Just add a splash of cinnamon to good quality coffee”
- “A splash of whipping cream, and cinnamon. If avoiding dairy, coconut cream and cinnamon.”
- “I take a can of coconut milk and make whipped cream out of it with cinnamon and vanilla extract.”
- “Adding cacao powder and almond milk!”
- “Coffee, ghee, coconut oil, collagen. Sometimes add cacao powder with a pinch of Real Salt. Blended to a wonderful creaminess in my VitaMix.”
- “Blended with cocoa butter…for a treat, on the daily though w/whole milk (blended for a treat), if leftover half-and-half or cream in the house from a recipe then I use that.”
- “Cold brew with unsweetened almond milk”
- ” I love this recipe by FNTP Cristina Curp: Dairy Free Creamer.”
COFFEE CREAMER OPTIONS
If possible, we recommend that you try whole food options without any gums or additives first, especially if you have any digestive issues. Many, if not most, packaged creamers have a combination of gums (sometimes multiple), chemicals used to improve consistency, and natural flavorings. Note that even some brands of cream/half-and-half, and coconut/nut milks may also contain gums. Alway look at the ingredients list before purchasing. When in doubt about ingredients, check out our post: Can I Have __________ On The 21DSD? You can also find a list of 21DSD Friendly Products & Brands in this post: 21DSD Approved Products and Brands.
Gums are used to thicken, stabilize and emulsify food, so without them you may find that some of these options will be separated in the container so you will need to shake before using, or in the case with canned coconut milk, you may find blending it gives you a nice consistency.
Dairy (Note the levels)
- Full Fat Cream/Whipping Cream (no additives/sweeteners) – Levels 1 & 2 only
- Whole Milk – Levels 1 & 2 only
- Half-and-Half – Levels 1 & 2 only
- Butter (all levels)
- Ghee (similar to clarified butter) (all levels)
- Native Forest Organic Simple (no gums in “Organic Simple”)
- A-Roy 100% Coconut Milk
- Natural Value Coconut Milk (no gums)
- Thai Kitchen
- 365 Organic Coconut Milk
- Savoy Coconut Cream (no gums)
- So Delicious Coconut Milk
- Three Trees Organic Almond Milk Unsweetened (no gums)
- Elmhurt milked cashews, almonds, hazelnuts, and walnuts (no gums)
- Malk Organics (no gums)
- New Barn Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Whole Foods 365 Organic Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Califia Organic Almond (Homestyle only) Nut Milk (no gums)
- Mylk Simply Raw (no gums)
Powdered Non-Dairy Creamer/Other (These do not contain gums or questionable additives)
- Laird's Superfoods Unsweetened Creamer
- Perfect Keto MCT Oil Powder
- Collagen Peptides / Hydrolyzed Collagen (grass-fed, no other ingredients/flavors) (Diane’s Favorite is Equip Foods)
Feel better now? SO. MANY. OPTIONS! Think of your transition to sugar- or sweetener-free coffee and other beverages as a chance to experience new and exciting ways of doing and enjoying things rather than thinking about what you “can’t have.” Because, really, look at all the awesome things you CAN have! A change in mindset goes a long way toward success!
Need more help getting off sugar? What about just living a sugar-free/low-sugar lifestyle? If getting off sugar seems daunting, or you just want a bit more guidance along the way, I have some exciting options for you to choose from!
- Diane created the original The 21-Day Sugar Detox guide book, its companion The 21-Day Sugar Detox Cookbook, and the most up to date, The 21-Day Sugar Detox Daily Guide specifically to guide people through this process step-by-step. In fact, you don’t even need to be using a Paleo template to do this program! For more information, please check Diane’s article: What is The 21-Day Sugar Detox?
- Need accountability and/or looking for a group near you? We've got you covered…check out our amazing 21-Day Sugar Detox Certified Coaches. You can search for one near you, an online group, and even one that specializes in your specific needs, such as autoimmune, pregnancy/breastfeeding/new moms, support for athletes, or many others.
- But wait, don't forget about the free downloadable resources I have available for you here: 21DSD Free Resources.
- What are we without community? We love our 21DSD community and you will too! Even if you decide that your community is a local or an online group with a coach, you can find additional inspiration to keep you on track and motivated with our social media channels: The 21-Day Sugar Detox Facebook Page; The 21-Day Sugar Detox Community Facebook Group; The 21-Day Sugar Detox on Instagram; and The 21-Day Sugar Detox on Pinterest.
- Subscribe to our 21DSD Newsletter! Get a weekly roundup of our favorite 21-Day Sugar Detox friendly recipes, posts, videos, guides, and more! Subscribe here.
Now, we’d love to hear from you! What’s your favorite way to enjoy your coffee on The 21-Day Sugar Detox?!